Sunday, July 30, 2006

Return to Racing






I'm so back. I know I haven't blogged for a while but I was stuck on a two week hellacious road trip. However, I'm back. And in more ways than one. I returned to racing triathlon after more than a year this weekend at the SPUDMAN in Burley, ID. They have touted this race as "Home of the World's Fastest Swim Course" and they weren't lying. It's downstream. It's PR heaven. Even with the adapted training schedule (a.k.a. trying to train while living in hotel gyms) I had a PR. In track, when the wind is at your back it's called a "wind aided" time. This was a "swim aided" time for sure, but I still finished feeling strong in under 3 hours. I love the feeling at the finish. I remembered how much I love racing. And this is a race that Juice would love. Everyone attends the pre-race pasta feed (which felt a little like a church activity :)), it's less than $50 AND all proceeds go to the local lions club (who was supporting a triathlete who had been hit by a car and is now paralyzed) and there were more people there for the love of the sport than anything else. I'm back next year. And all of you reading this should put it on your calendar to sign up in early 2007. This race sells out in a matter of weeks.

1 comment:

RR said...

I did that race a few years back. I also had my fastest time. I remember doing the whole swim in less than 12 minutes or something like that. It is also the only race I remember doing that has two transition areas. Did it still have two?

I would love to do it next year. Let's all plan on doing the Spudman and climbing the Grand next summer.

Juice