Monday, April 30, 2007

Doing the Right Thing


I attempted to handle my resignation in the most professional manner, for the ultimate benefit of three parties: the company, my clients, and myself. It did not work out as planned. Everyone who has left the company in my position has been ostracized, criticized, and crucified. I was silly to think it wouldn't happen to me. I arrived at the Buffalo airport on Friday after my final meeting. I was informed my flight had been cancelled and was re-booked on another flight. It was subsequently cancelled and I was informed I would be flying home Sunday. About 5 minutes following, I received a phone call from the VP of our firm accusing me of stealing intellectual property from the company and forwarding it to the new company I would be working for. At this point, as I write about it on Monday, it is laughable. However, on Friday, I was hurt and disappointed that the company I had given my blood, sweat, and tears to for 5 years was choosing to put forward such allegations. Being falsely accused of theft with no proof makes you feel pretty lousy. At this point, all I can say, is this:

If you are going to quit a corporate job where you have "at-will" employment: resign immediately and take a 30 day vacation without your phone, computer, and Blackberry. It's much easier that way....

No comments: