Monday, April 23, 2007

Airport Tourist Stores


I’ve noticed how many stores there are at airports touting wares from the local state – Friday I left Harrisburg PA and noticed a store that was selling all things Penn. There were Penn State sweatshirts, Pittsburgh Penguins apparel, Amish quilts, and the typical tourist fare. I can’t decide if there are more business travelers or people who travel for pleasure. There’s probably some data on this that I could take the time to research, but won’t.

I think the stores at the airport are made for business travelers. It’s a way to pick up a trinket for your loved ones, that you didn’t have time to go to the real source for, and bring a little bit of your arduous journey back. The problem is, I could have bought an Amish quilt (they were ludicrously priced at $1000 in case you were wondering), and pawned it off as a “treasure” of my trip to PA…Like I had actually seen it being made, taken a trip to the countryside, and enjoyed some personal time amongst the rat race. Problem is that I didn’t visit an Amish farm. I didn’t even see a horse and buggy this trip. If they wanted to sell things at the airport that were really representative of the “memories” of your excursion; they should sell two things: little hotel soaps and hotel valet dry-cleaning cellophane. These are what the business traveler sees and very little else. If you people think you are missing out on “exotic travel”, you are sorely mistaken. Go find your wife that forgot to tell you she spent the $100 in the checking account, your husband that refuses to sort his laundry, your boyfriend or girlfriend, your children that spilled red Kool-Aid on the white carpet, your dog that peed in the house, your cat that ruined your new sweater…Grab them, hug them, tell them that you are grateful you are home with them. Enjoy your own shampoo!

No comments: